It’s so easy to overindulge on Thanksgiving. And the extra calories we consume would be enough to nourish us for a week under normal circumstances. So, what are a few things you can do to save calories without resorting to unfathomable measures like swapping your mashed potatoes for mashed cauliflower? Read on…
- White meat instead of dark meat has 15% fewer calories
- Ditch the roll. It’s not the entrée or a yummy side dish. You won’t even miss it and will save 165 calories.
- Replace sour cream with Greek yogurt. Trust me, no one will know the difference and you will reduce calories from 60 to 17 per serving.
- Use the one-layer rule. You know exactly what we’re talking about. If you are piling your food on your plate, then it is way too much!
- Let the turkey be king and give those yummy starch sides ¼ of your plate.
- Chose the pumpkin pie over the pecan pie and save yourself 187 calories.
- And skip that scoop of ice cream, which comes in at 137 calories for ½ cup. If you have to top your pie, then 3 tablespoons of whipped cream is only 23 calories.
- Watch the pour. We are realists and would never tell you to skip the drink at Thanksgiving, but the size of the glass has a big impact on how much you pour. Swapping a large wine glass for a Champagne flute will save you 150 calories… per drink!